All rules and scoring criteria can be viewed on Dropbox
After reviewing the event rules, Please register for the event
OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
THE CODELINC HACKATHON IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY AND A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. BY PARTICIPATING YOU AGREE TO THESE RULES AND REGULATIONS.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES
These are the Official Rules and Regulations (“Official Rules”) that govern how the codeLinc Hackathon (the "Challenge") operates. In these rules, "We," "Our," and "Us" refer to Lincoln Financial Group, which is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (“Lincoln”), the Sponsor of this Challenge. “you” and “yourself” refer to an eligible participant.
A person who participates in the Challenge, either individually, or as part of a team, is referred to as a “Participant.”
A “Registrant” who is a group of Participants who enter the Challenge as a team.
The Challenge is designed to have students create real-world technology solutions to solve today’s issues in the community. A non-profit entity will present the Participants with a current challenge in the community to be “solved.” Please note that this is a skilled-based contest, and chance plays no part in the determination of the winners. By participating, you agree to these Official Rules.
The Challenge is a virtual event and contest. Rules, notifications, updates, submissions and final judging will all be maintained on http://codelinc7.devpost.com. The Challenge will be open to compete between 12 p.m. EDT on 8/17/2020 and 11:30 p.m. EDT on 10/17/2020 (the “Hackathon Submission Period”).
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
To participate, register as instructed. Note that registration is limited to 250 persons or 50 teams. There is no cost for registration.
Registration may be closed early if a total of 250 Participants or 50 teams is reached. Each Participant must be registered. Although Participants do not need to enter as part of a team, all teams should include 3-8 people. Additionally, Participants can only be a member of one team.
- Draft Submissions: Prior to the end of the Hackathon Submission Period, you may save draft versions of your Submission on Devpost to your portfolio before submitting the Submission materials to the Hackathon for evaluation. Once the Submission Period has ended, you may not make any changes or alterations to your Submission, but you may continue to update the project in your Devpost portfolio.
- Modifications After the Hackathon Submission Period: We may permit you to modify part of your Submission after the Submission Period for the purpose of removing material that potentially infringes a 3rd-party mark or right, discloses personally identifiable information, or is otherwise inappropriate. The modified Submission must remain substantively the same as the original Submission with the only modification being what the Poster permits.
GENERAL STANDARDS FOR ENTRIES
The intent and spirit of the Challenge is to encourage Registrants to develop innovative technical solutions that solve the community challenges faced by our non-profit recipients.
In addition to the content and technical requirements listed earlier, to be eligible for judging, all Entries must meet the following general standards:
- All Entries must be presented and submitted in English.
- The content of your Entry and any supporting materials must be acceptable for all viewing audiences. We will automatically disqualify any Registrant that submits an Entry or supporting materials that contain data, code, text, sound or images that We, in our sole opinion and for any reason, believe to be malicious, illegal, vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate for public viewing, or that presents us in a negative light.
- By submitting an Entry in this Challenge, you represent:
- That your team and the Entry submitted complies with these Official Rules;
- That the entirety of the Entry is your team’s original work; and
- That your team has obtained any and all consents, approvals, or licenses required for you to submit your Entry, and that your Entry will not violate anyone else’s rights or the law.
Your odds of winning a prize will depend on the number of eligible Entries received, the quality of the Entries, and the level of skill of the Registrants. If your team is confirmed as a winner:
- You may not designate someone else or another team as the winner;
- You agree to provide Us with the legal name, address, and social security number/tax ID as well as other information requested for tax reporting purposes, of each Participant;
- If your team accepts a prize, you and each team member agree to self-report to applicable taxing authorities, as may be required by applicable laws, and will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes and costs related to accepting and using the prize; and
- You and your team members will participate in media interviews as requested by Us.
Prize monies should be retained by individuals only in conformity with any applicable policies of his or her employers regarding participation in and receipt of promotional consideration relating to the Challenge and receipt and retention of prize. If an employer’s policies are applicable, it is the Registrant's sole and ultimate responsibility, in consultation with his or her government, employer or school, to determine how and if prize will be retained and/or distributed and accounted for and we assume no responsibility for the decisions made by such government, employers or schools regarding this issue.
If you are selected as a winner, We may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release and W-9 tax form (for U.S. residents). This Challenge is not open to non-US residents. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time periods indicated as part of any winner notification, We may disqualify you.
WHAT ARE TEAMS?
While you do not need to register as a team prior to the event, all Participants are required to form a team of 3-8 people. Team members may come from different academic institutions. Each Participant may belong to only a single team within this Challenge. At the time of team registration, each team must submit the name, email, and telephone number for each team member. Your team’s registration will not be complete without this information
- Will receive an email confirmation that they have been registered for the Challenge and may be required to confirm their participation.
- Is solely responsible for its own cooperation and teamwork. In no event will we officiate in any dispute between or among any team(s) or its/their members regarding their conduct, participation, cooperation or contribution. In the event that any dispute cannot be resolved, we reserve the right in our sole discretion to make a determination as to the identity of team members or the team representative.
- Agrees to abide by these Official Rules.
- Understands and agrees that the Entry becomes the sole property of their corresponding non- profit organization once submitted. Registrants do not retain any ownership or other rights as to any Entries, or the contents thereof, once submitted.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY POTENTIALLY BE USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any rights to own or use your Entry. By submitting your Entry, you:
- Are granting Lincoln and the Challenge non-profits an irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid, worldwide right and sublicenseable and transferable license to: (i) use, review, assess, sell, reproduce, display, create any derivative works in perpetuity, test, and otherwise analyze your Entry and all its content in connection with this Challenge; and (ii) feature your Entry and all its content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Challenge (including but not limited to internal and external presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Challenge Entry process in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed);
- Agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for Us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted;
- If you are a minor in your place of residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf.
- Understand and acknowledge that We or other Participants may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your Entry and you/your team waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your Entry;
- Understand that We cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to Us or our representatives in the course of entering, or what We or our representatives will remember about your Entry. You also understand that We will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your Entry. By entering this Challenge, you agree that use of information in our representatives unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for Us;
- Understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit from Us for use of your Entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules. This provision does not limit any compensation you may receive through Us or third parties as a result of your use or marketing or profiting from the application beyond this Challenge or as provided in these Official Rules.
- Represent that the Entry was created for the purpose of submission to this Challenge. Registrants forever waive any rights of privacy, intellectual property rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude Our use of the Entry, or require permission for Us to use the Entry for any purpose, and agree to never sue or assert any claim against Us for Our use of the Entry.
Please note that following the end of this Challenge you, your team and your Entry may be publicized as participating in the Challenge, including distribution online or via media or posting on our site or a third-party website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your Entry by those accessing or viewing your Entry.
While We reserve these rights, We are not obligated to use your Entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning Entry.
If you do not want to grant Us these rights to your Entry, you may not enter this Challenge.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING AND PARTICIPATING?
By entering this Challenge you agree:
- To abide by the Official Rules;
- To release and hold harmless Lincoln National Corporation, and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Challenge and its promotion, or any prize won;
- Our decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Challenge;
- We reserve the right to modify these Official Rules at our sole discretion.
- That, by accepting a prize, We may use your proper name and state, country, and/or region of residence, image, employment information, and team information, online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Challenge, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law;
- To contact Us prior to promoting or publicizing your participation in and, if applicable, your winning the Challenge; and
- To not use or display any Lincoln trademarks (including any logo or brand) without our prior written permission;
- We may contract third party vendors to assist and provide services related to the running and judging of this Challenge; as a result, Registrants may be asked to agree to third party terms and conditions and must abide by any such terms and conditions; and
- That (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Challenge, or any benefits received, or the administration of the Challenge shall be resolved by Us in our sole discretion without recourse to any court or administrative body. In the event, such dispute, claim or cause of action is prohibited by law from being resolved by Us, it may only be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration, to take place in the State of North Carolina pursuant to the Rules of the American Arbitration Association, then effective, (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in the Challenge and in no event shall entrant be entitled to receive attorneys’ fees or other legal costs; and (3) under no circumstances will a Participants be permitted to obtain awards for and Participants hereby waive all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
THAT BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CHALLENGE YOU AGREE THAT:
LINCOLN NATIONAL CORPORATION AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATED COMPANIES AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE "RELEASED PARTIES") EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND (WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL RELEASED PARTIES BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR THEIR OR AN ENTRANT’S USE OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED AND/OR MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE CHALLENGE OR FOR ERRORS OR ANOMALIES RESULTING IN THE UNINTENDED OR ERRONEOUS PARTICIPATION, AWARD OF CHALLENGE PRIZE OR OTHER BENEFITS UNDER THE CHALLENGE TO ENTRANTS. RELEASED PARTIES OFFER NO ASSURANCES, GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS THAT THE CHALLENGE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE AND DO NOT GURANTEE THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE CHALLENGE. RELEASED PARTIES ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY COMPUTER-RELATED DAMAGES DUE TO DOWNLOADING MATERIALS. RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE, AND ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RELATED TO AN ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION OR INABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CHALLENGE, WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL. FURTHER, BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CHALLENGE AND/OR ACCEPTING A PRIZE, PARTICIPANT AGREES THAT RELEASED PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY PARTICIPANT AGAINST ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE, INJURY OR LOSS TO PERSON (INCLUDING DEATH) OR PROPERTY DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, TO ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF PRIZE, PARTICIPATION IN ANY
CHALLENGE-RELATED ACTIVITY AND RELEASED PARTIES USE OF ANY ENTRY OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CHALLENGE.
Participants also agree to release, defend, indemnify and hold harmless Released Parties from and against, and accept all responsibility of any kind, including but not limited to financial, for any liability, claims, losses, damages or proceedings, including but not limited to death, and including reasonable attorneys’ fees, relating to any actions taken by a Registrant, including submission of applications, or anyone else using a Participant's e-mail or team password or otherwise purporting to act on Participant's behalf in regard to the Challenge (whether or not such use occurred with or without your permission).
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CHALLENGE IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTERED?
This Challenge will take place in North Carolina and be governed by the laws of the State of North Carolina.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CHALLENGE CAN'T RUN AS IT WAS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, bot, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event affects the fairness and/or integrity of this Challenge, We reserve the right to cancel, change, or suspend this Challenge. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Challenge, We reserve the right, but are not required, to select winners from among all eligible Entries received before We had to cancel, change or suspend the Challenge.
If you or your team attempts to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Challenge, or if We have reason to believe that you or your team have compromised the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Challenge by cheating, hacking, creating a bot or other automated program, or by committing fraud in any way, We may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, We may disqualify you, and ban you from participating in any of our future Challenges, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
A full list of all winners will be published on or about November 17, 2020.
Lincoln Financial Group PRIVACY STATEMENT
Contact David Goodrich via email at David.firstname.lastname@example.org or 484-583-1331 with regard to the Challenge details and logistics and Nancy Smith via email at email@example.com or 484-583- 1704 with questions regarding these Official Rules.